15 January 2009

Living With Friends is Hard

I'm living with a friend this semester and it's surprisingly hard!!!  For me anyway. I don't know how she feels about it.  It's gotta be hard to live with me because we are complete opposites.  I'm a clean freak, I can be pretty moody, I'm ok with having a few good friends, I like my privacy and alone time.  She's not the cleanest person ever, she's pretty much happy and bubbly 24/7, she likes to have A LOT of people to talk to, and she definitely likes to talk and ask questions.  I think that if we weren't living together none of this would matter, but as it is, and for some reason I can't explain, I get annoyed easily by all of this...  Any suggestions on how I can grow up and get over it?  I mean, I shouldn't let it bother me...

5 comments:

The Betitas said...

When I was a missionary I ran into this problem frequently. Serving helped. Also, not holding others to my expectations helped too, I still struggle with that one though, consistently! Clear Christlike communication is a biggie! It takes patience and effort and practice to be able to resolve conflicts effectively! Im actually taking a conflicts resolution class right now. If there is anything worth sharing, I will!

Anonymous said...

haha oh ya. the mission could get hard because of that. and looking back i laugh because a lot of times i would get annoyed over something so silly. So maybe while youre in it, you cant see it, but hopefully the time will go fast and then you will be able to laugh about it...

Angela said...

Does your friend realize the differences like you do? If so, then I would think that the both of you could make living together work.

She would need to try and understand your personality and you hers. It gets hard, but it is attainable.

Does this make any sense?

Jen and Allen said...

Dito to the above... Bring it up in FHE. DO your best to searve her and designate some space that is yours that she is not aloud to mess up. Take pleasure in your showers and times you are alone... and be glad that you have someone to be with becuase being alone all the time is much worse than putting up with someone who gets on your nearves.
Last but not least PRAY PRAY PRAY! Kim is the bubbly social butterfly messy slob who stills my shirts and puts her dirty cloths on the floor and my bed. I have been there and you could talk to kim about it since she is on the same end as your roomate and see what she has to say.

Tevye said...

See the light at the end of the tunnel and look for the good in your roomie - she has her good points too as well as her bad - just like all of us. If it were a permanent relationship you would have to worry more about working it all out but since it is essentially over in 90 days you can live with it while still keeping her as a friend.