05 March 2008

May Be Snow Covered and Icy

There is a reason that the park service posts that on the Guide to Winter Hiking brochure. They know what they're talking about. Jeanie and I went hiking on Saturday and then again on Monday. We wanted to get our money's worth. On Saturday we did a few of the easier hikes but on Monday, we wanted something a little more difficult. A little more challenging. A little more breath-taking. A little more strenuous. So? We decided to do Angel's Landing (as defined by the park service): "Strenuous Long drop-offs and narrow trail. Not for anyone fearful of heights. Ends at summit high above Zion Canyon. Last 0.5 mi (0.8 km) follows a steep, narrow ridge; chains have been added." What they forgot to mention is this: sandstone is slippery and becomes 10 times MORE slippery when wet. Not for anyone wearing tennis shoes. Hiking boots are a MUST. There are SHEER drop-offs on BOTH sides and the word NARROW is almost an understatement. AND the trail is on a slant. Meaning: slanting toward the edge of the cliff. So let's add this all up. Slippery, wet sandstone; trail slanting toward the sheer drop-offs, exactly what you DO NOT want to be slanting toward; tennis shoes MINUS the traction. Holy moly, thank the stars for the genius who decided to install chains! It makes for one adrenaline packed hike! Was it worth it? Most definitely!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I heard that it is one crazy hike! I've always wanted to do that hike. However, I prefer the non-slippery option:) Congratulations for not dying!

Tim said...

oh my gosh that is intense! I am loving it. Arches is nowhere near that, but come anyways.

Tim said...

It must be so awesome to live where you do.

Lori Buhr said...

Glad you are having some near death bonding time with your little sister. Enjoy being young while you're still alive! Love you. Be careful!