14 February 2008

Chalk It Up

The other day I was walking to school, I was in a little bit of a hurry because it was cold out and I wanted to get inside as soon as possible. I decided to cut across the parking lot in order to get to the building I was headed for because it would be faster in the long run. So, I stepped off of the plowed, ice-less sidewalk into the snow-packed-down-and-turned-into-an-iceskating-rink parking lot. I wasn't really worried about slipping because I had begun to slip numerous times in the previous days and had always been able to regain my balance. So I continued to hurry on with confidence. And then before I knew what was happening, BOTH of my feet were in the air and my arms were flailing madly. I came down hard on my left side in the lower back/upper butt region and had I not had a backpack on I probably would have hit my head on the asphalt. I just laid there for a second or two, trying to understand what had happened and trying to figure out if I had broken anything. When I discovered that all bones were intact and in their proper places I uttered a choice word or two and hopped up as fast as I could (it all happened within just a few seconds). I quickly looked around and didn't anyone, so I continued to hurry on, trying not to cry, and with a little more caution. After I had thought about it for a few minutes I had to laugh at myself and hoped that someone saw me slip and was getting a good laugh out of it, too. And I was also glad that I landed the way I did because it could have gone very, very badly had I landed any other way. Just another reason why winter is not my season!

8 comments:

Lori Buhr said...

I have done that and I always feel so nervous that someone might have seen me, usually someone has and they run over and say, "Are you okay?" and I feel like a fool. Glad you're okay!

Ashley Thalman said...

i can see it now. i am both sad for you and laughing both with and AT you. you are a delight.

melanie said...

Oh!! Sara... That must have been a sight. I agree though, Winter is not my season either.

Amy said...

Sounds like a pretty graceful fall!! Just glad you didn't hurt anything on the way down.

Here comes the sun..... at least we are all hoping so!

Jen and Allen said...

My back pack has saved my life more than once in ice related incidents here. If worn correctly it can save your head, back, butt, or arms... if you fall backwards that is... I did fall forward once though and my back pack came flying over head and I got a few subjects literally knocked in to my head. Glad you’re not hurt. Jen

inanechatter said...

That's lame. I hate falling on ice. It always hurts because it's so hard and unforgiving. I do love seeing the look of panic though just before someone falls. I can't wait for warmer weather. Although, I hear summers are pretty dang hot in Texas and I'm not so sure how I feel about that.

jeanie said...

wow and just think i was minutes away from this place and missed seeing this beautiful experience! he he
you make falling on your arse look GOOD :)
work it
say ra
say what?
say ra ra ra!

Brooke said...

Sara, wow! That sounds painful. Are you alright? If I would have seen this happening, I would be seeing if you were alright. Oh honey! Be careful out there!!