28 January 2008

Not Cut Out For It. And That's That.

Allow me to complain. I HATE SNOW! I'm sure most of you "up north", as they say down here, experienced the storm that came through earlier today. Well, it's hit us down here and it is not a pretty sight. Especially if you have to drive in it.

I was looking at the weather today, you know, my usual routine, and there was a Snow and Blowing Snow Advisory out for us people down south. The Advisory stated that there would be blowing and drifting snow and white out conditions. I had to go to work and thought that maybe all this blowing snow and white out conditons stuff would hold off until I was able to get home for the evening. I contemplated calling my boss and telling her that I wasn't going to make it, but I didn't want to look like a slacker. Especially because the weather at the time was partly cloudy with only a few snow flurries. I decided to go ahead and go to work. And boy, oh boy, should I have listened to my instinct to call it a day. About 45 minutes after I got to work I glanced out the window, and much to my chagrin, it looked like a white sheet had been hung in front of it. About 5 minutes after that, the power went out and I could not longer complete what I was doing. About 5 minutes after that, my boss told me to go home before the weather got any worse. Supposedly, the worst hadn't even hit us yet and, gosh, was I pretty scared to drive in it. I was tempted to leave my car in the parking lot and beg a ride off of someone headed my way just so I wouldn't have to do any driving. But I didn't. I climbed into my car, bottom lip quivering and hands shaking, and gave myself a little pep talk. To make a long story short, I couldn't see farther than 5 or 10 feet in front of me the whole time (it was only a 10 mile drive), the roads were slippery and snow packed and I was in constant fear of getting stuck in my little old car, and I had to worry and try my darndest not to run into any of the other cars around me. But I made it home safe. And I felt like I needed to share my feat with someone, so I called my dad, and the minute I heard his voice I burst out in uncontrollable sobs. I'm not sure why, but I think I was just experiencing high levels of stress. And now this wretched storm is dropping inch upon inch of wretched snow. It's not so bad now that I'm home safe and I sure am glad that I made it home safe.

I hope anyone else who has to do any driving will be safe while this storm persists! Any one else have any scary driving-in-a-snowstorm stories? I'd love to hear them. :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh not fun. I'm so glad we are staying in today!

When I was in high school I was coming home from work on New Years Eve and I did a full spin in the mini-van in the road and ended up in the median inches away from a tree. SO SCARY.

Glad you made it home safe!

Katie said...

I was on my way to the library when the blizzard hit. We turned around and headed home, much to Jackson's dismay. But I wasn't gonna chance it! Sorry you had to drive in that - but glad you made it home safe!!

Ashley Thalman said...

oh little sar...
snow is SO not your thing!

Jen and Allen said...

More of a story than a comment but hey. In the 5 winters that we have lived up here I have yet to go off the road. Knock on Wood! But the first year we were here was one of the worst winters of my life! I had to drive to school from base that is about a 15-20 min drive in the summer. Every one else up here was on the road but I couldn’t figure out why everything was not canceled...( coming from NM where if the bus cant make it up the hill with ½ an inch on the ground everything is 2 hr delayed or canceled completely) after all there was about 3 feet of snow and it was still snowing and they don’t salt the roads here the temp was -20 or so and ice was on everything. I started out for my after noon classes about 1 hour early and took it slow and steady and was a little freaked out but made it there with 10 min to spare and yes I was only going about 5 miles and hour slower than everyone else but I didn’t end up in the ditch. Ok It gets dark at about 3:30 in December here and so I am driving home now in the dark and I cant see anything and there is about 4 feet of snow, Ice every where, cars in the ditch, and snow blowing and falling and even the natives are going 10 to 15 mph I didn’t have a cell phone so I could not call Allen to rescue me thus I drove home with white knuckles and it took over an hour and 40 min. I pulled into the drive way and put the car in park and just cried... Allen came home and found me still in the car gripping the wheel with tears on my face and a puddle of tears on my lap and helped me in to the house... No Idea how long I was in the car just sitting there releasing the stress of the drive but I would guess about 10 min. I was kind of delirious by then.

Tevye said...

I knew it was a tough drive - you sounded rather excited when you called. I am ready for sunshine and 80 degrees.

The Betitas said...

Come to Phoenix!

The Betitas said...

Seriously, come to Phoenix!