22 May 2010

The Relay That Never Was

We were scheduled to run our big relay starting yesterday afternoon. I think the race directors were having a hard time staying on top of it and keeping it together. I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago saying that there was a newly scheduled road construction project that was going to conflict with part of the race course. They decided to cancel the relay because they didn't feel they had enough time to reroute the entire race. I don't blame them. As for myself and my team, we were pretty bummed but also pretty relieved. We were having a hard time staying on top of and keeping our own team together. We COULD NOT, to save our lives, find our last teammate. I posted it on facebook, I wrote blogs about it, I sent out emails, and my team did the same. I kept thinking, "There has to be somebody out there who at least KNOWS somebody who would be WILLING, if not necessarily overjoyed, to do it." NOPE. We could not find a single soul. Half of my team was injured, and I became injured just last week. Not to mention that not a single one of us had been training like we should have been. I hadn't gotten any of the safety gear and was a little bit stressed out about the expense of that and the expense of the food/drinks that we would need to keep us going... Just before I received the cancellation email, I had made the comment to one of my friends that if I could get my money back, I would just email the race directors and tell them that my team was out, so sorry, and good luck with everything! As cool as it would be to say that me and 7 of my teammates ran 120+ miles around Utah Lake in a 24 hour period, I am pretty glad that the race fell through. I think from here on out I'll join already established teams rather than try to start up my own. It was a little too stressful for my liking.

2 comments:

Shaybaybobay said...

That's got to be really stressful. I'm sorry you had to go through that. If I were there, I would have done it. Even if it meant killing myself for you =)
I love you!

Rachel Dean-Dastrup said...

haha I'm kinda glad it cancelled too! But I will be excited to try again sometime.