22 May 2009

I mean, REALLY?!



My summer job at the moment is custodial work in one of the buildings on SUU campus. It's the same job I had over the school year, just extended with a few more hours a day. Right now we're going into each of the classrooms and deep cleaning, which consists of pretty much washing everything from the ceiling down to the floor. It's not a hard job. Mostly just monotonous. We're supposed to get under the desk tops and scrape the gum off. You wouldn't think that would be hard job, right? I mean, considering that we're all adults and going to college, RIGHT? We should be over the juvenile I'm-too-lazy-to-throw-my-gum-away-so-I'll-just-stick-it-to-the-bottom-of-the-desk attitude, RIGHT? Well, that's what I though until I actually got under there to start scraping. The amount of gum that we've found under those desks is ridiculous!!! Everyday I find myself asking, "Wait, how old are we again? I was under the impression that we're all in college..." Maybe some people don't ever lose that adolescent mentality which makes my job very, very interesting (read: disgusting) sometimes...

2 comments:

Heather said...

I actually found a combination lock hooked under one of the desks in my classroom. I don't know the combo...so it remains. Not as disgusting as all the gum, but definitely weird!

The Betitas said...

oh the good ol days of scraping gum. you know, every once in a while I am so so tempted to stick it right under there. dont' worry, I always resist, but oh the convenience!