24 September 2008

Helaman 4:25

Therefore the Lord did cease to preserve them by his miraculous and matchless power, for they had fallen into a state of unbelief and awful wickedness; and they saw that the Lamanites were exceedingly more numerous than they, and except they should cleave unto the Lord their God they must unavoidably perish.

I was half asleep while reading this chapter last night, but I do remember one part of one verse. I think what jumped out at me were the words "cleave" and "unavoidably perish". According to Meriam Webster.com, cleave means to adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly. When I think of cleaving to something, I don't think of casually holding on to something. I think of holding on with all my might. This one phrase is so applicable to us now days. In the world we live in, we need to "cleave unto the Lord [our] God" with everything that we have or we will definitely and unavoidably perish. How great that we have the Gospel to hold onto with everything that goes on these days!

5 comments:

The Betitas said...

im getting so much out of the Book of Mormon this time around! Its been awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I concur. That's smart to do your study with the dictionary. you've inspired me!

Anonymous said...

thanks Sara!

Lori Buhr said...

I also love the reference in Lehi's dream about those who came forth CLINGING to the iron rod and fell on their knees at the tree of life. We can't be lax at all.

Tevye said...

I picture cleave as getting your claws into something so tight that it can't slip out of your grasp! I am in the best part of the Book of Mormon III Nephi, Chapter 13. Sometimes I wish it were 500 pages of the Savior's visit and 40 pages of wars.