29 October 2007
PE Teachers on Life's Lessons
I'm in a class right now called Wellness Dynamics. Please keep in mind that this class is a beginning level class, and I really like it, except for one thing (ok, maybe a few things...). The teacher of my class is a crazy person. He reminds me of a drill sergeant in the military, kind of. He comes into class a few minutes late everyday, shouts, "Ok people, let's get started!" and launches straight into the day's lecture. All this isn't so bad. I can tell that he is a very knowledgeable guy. I mean, he knows his stuff, and if a question is asked that he can't answer, he's very good about saying, "I"m not sure about that, but I would think...". What gets me, though, is that he is continually commenting on how he's "just trying to bring this class up to college level" and I want to raise my hand and say, "This is a college level class or else it wouldn't be at the COLLEGE..." He gets very angry when he finds out that we haven't been keeping up in the book, but then he'll turn right around and say how he hasn't read the book for years and that he's not even sure if what he's talking about is in the book and yet he expects us to read it? I don't know about anyone else in the class, but that doesn't give me a whole lot of motivation to read the book if he's not teaching FROM the book. Am I just weird? And then the last thing is, he won't give us any kind of review for the tests (his reasoning for not giving us a review is this: You don't know what life is going to throw at you, so I'm not going to tell you what's on the test, you just need to know it all. My reasoning for why he should give us a review is this: It's very true that we don't know what life is going to throw at us, so why don't you make our lives a little easier and tell was what to study? Because he goes into a lot of depth on a lot of things. He even makes comments like, you don't need to know this, but we're going to talk about it anyway), which would be ok if we didn't take 4 pages of notes a day, we had more than just 3 tests for the whole semester, and he used the book in some way. But alas, we do have many, many pages of notes, we have a midterm (from the first weeks of the the semester), a test on the information from the last 7 weeks of the semester, and then a final on all of the information, and he definitely doesn't teach from the book. With all that being said, I really can't complain because I got a 90% on my first test. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh my gosh! im totally relating! one slight difference...Im paying 1000 dollars for each class. Sorry If I totally just shattered any hope you may have had about college getting better.
Actually, its worth it somehow! Keep on keeping on.
Welcome to the world of "higher" learning. Higher as in the BS gets deeper and the tuition gets higher and the profs think they are the highest of God's creations. Don't give up, you're right.
Post a Comment