21 June 2009

Any ideas on why caring for someone causes pain sometimes? In any relationship I've ever had, whether it be platonic, familial, or romantic, there is always an element of emotional pain. I guess it has everything to do with the idea of adversity in all things. We have to experience the bad in order to experience the good. But it sure is hard sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because sometimes we don't know joy until we know sorrow. I hate that advice... but I guess it's pretty true! haha whatever happens, after you have felt the sorrow you get to decide how happy you are going to make your life...

Ashley Thalman said...

I think it is a wonderful sign that you can love as much as you do. I think they call this compassion- and empathy.

Sara said...

It hurts, too, when the person that you care about possibly doesn't care quite as much for you as you do for them. That makes it hard. But at the same time, I understand that a person can't force caring or loving or any feeling at all in any kind of relationship. You can only do what you can do.

Tevye said...

"In fact', said Mustapha Mond, 'you're claiming the right to be unhappy.''All right then,' said the Savage defiantly, 'I'm claiming the right to be unhappy.'

'Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind.' There was a long silence.
'I claim them all,' said the Savage at last.

-Brave New World-

And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

-Alma the Younger-