14 October 2008

What I've Learned...

One thing that I've learned in the last little while is that you can't judge a person by how he/she is responding to a certain situation. We are all individuals and as such will all respond differently to different situations. You can empathize, but I think that empathizing is different than KNOWING how someone is feeling. You can only imagine what someone is feeling. Even if you have been in the same situation, you still do not know exactly how that person is feeling. I've also learned that most of the time you won't even know that a person is "responding to a situation". You don't know what is going on in someone's life that may be causing them to act a certain way or do or say certain things. That's why it's so important not to be judgemental and act with love and kindness toward people. You just never know. This concept it hard for me because I feel that it's in my nature to be hard on people sometimes. I'm grateful for the experiences that I have that put this into perspective. I hope that those experiences keep coming so that I can keep this in mind! It'll definitely be one of those things that I have to work on for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's well put. Hope youre having fun in San FRAN!!!!!

Katie said...

Something I think we all need to be careful about! We miss you!

Lori Buhr said...

You are a wise woman.

Brooke said...

I love your thoughts and feelings on this. Thanks for sharing this Sar!