I recently moved away from my home and family to attend a different school. I've been in college for going on 6 years. First of all, I should be done with school. If I was done with school I wouldn't have gotten myself into this. Second of all, it's an incredibly weird feeling to move away from your family and friends and familiarity and comfort and plunk yourself down in the middle of some strange town where you don't know anyone at all. And no one knows you. The night that I moved down, I was definitely regretting it. I was ready and willing to pack all my stuff back into my car and head on home. "To heck with school" was my attitude that night, and for a few days afterward, too. I definitely didn't want to be where I was and constantly berated myself for having conceived of such a genius idea as moving into the unknown. And then school started and it got a little better. The act of going from class to class was something familiar at least, even if it was a different, unfamiliar school.
I am now waiting to start a job that I've secured. I'm sure that will ease some of the discomfort, as well. So it's getting better, but I've decided that being a starving student is a lonely business on the whole.
I'm going home this weekend and I'm counting down the hours. Thank heavens I live with in driving distance. It would be unbearable otherwise!
3 comments:
Be strong! You are my hero - you're so brave to go out on your own! I left home, but at at least had Timothy with me! Love you!
I am grateful you have a loving family to go home and visit. You will make it and you will be stronger than you ever thought you could be. You'll see. Don't give up! Lori
Yeah! It is rough! When I went to the UK I felt pretty lonely and home sick! It wasn't so fun. But thankfully looking back I am so glad I did it. I feel home sick even now and I am here with my fiancee so it makes it a whole lot easier. Its hard to realize that you'll be better off for the experience! But its true.
Post a Comment